15 March 2016

Hockey without a goalie? Warriors closing in on the best regular season record EVER.

Another game means another win, if you are the Golden State Warriors. I don't follow enough basketball, but I will be watching the NBA playoffs. And I do follow Steph Curry and the general state of the NBA. And I do see something new coming out of this Curry-led Warriors style.

The Jordan..er...Chicago Bulls had a few dominant seasons and put up the best record ever, losing only 10 games in 1996 (ugh TWENT YEARS AGO!? feeling old here!). That's a 87.8% winning percentage. Against the best men of that era.

The Warriors are 60-6 after blowing the New Orleans Pelicans out last night. 60-6. That's better than 9 out of every 10 games...against the best players of this era. 90.9%. That means, this group shouldn't lose two more games. WOW. 75-7 potentially. Just unreal.

I don't know NBA basketball like I do hockey, but this is not a weak NBA. The talent level is high and spread out. There are a lot of teams with potential to play mighty good basketball. So for the Warriors to be leveling every team so consistently amazes me. This is a team that will change the way basketball is defended...or maybe rules get changed, who knows.

I get excited at where the game will be in five or ten years. In Jordan's wake came tons of athletic shooting guards and small forwards throwing the ball down with force or drawing men over and making the sweet pass for an easy bucket - expanding on Jordan in different ways.

What follows Curry!?

Will others be banging out threes as regularly? Bigger guys nailing the three and drawing defenses out? Using that space to go in with acrobatic huge dunks? Who knows!

Honestly, I won't be thinking about the future once the playoffs start. I'll be watching the NOW and enjoying it. Curry and the Warriors are fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment