31 January 2016

Racing: IMSA Rolex 24hrs of Daytona

I have only just recently discovered the world of IMSA racing. Growing up in the south, I was exposed to NASCAR early on. Richard Petty was revered by dad to an extent and he took me to some races in the heart of North Carolina - Rockingham Speedway. I was taken in quickly by it all - loud, fast, cars, crashes...all of it made my eye-balls come out of my head.

As with all sports, there is inevitable criticism by those who find nothing interesting in that sport. And truly, I have no explanation as to why I can watch cars go around and around and around for such long times. A long NASCAR race can easily eclipse 4hours. I have no sales job on it.

I know what I like about it. Speed. Power. Both controlled on the edge of controllability. These guys are pushing the tires' grip to the very limit. That alone impresses, but they are doing it against other guys that are also doing it. It is not a light endeavor - a mistake, a misjudgement could not only end the chances of victory, but could even cause death. It isn't common, but it is the reality. That edge entertains and amazes me.

Well, this past year I was exposed to IMSA racing. It has everything NASCAR has (except the fandom). It's racing. Different rules and different tracks and cars but still, it's just guys mastering a car and a track against other guys doing the same. It was easy for me to hop on board and fortunately, because IMSA has a good online presence I can follow it easily. Every race can be watched on IMSA.com. Cool.

This weekend opened the new 2016 IMSA season. The race, as with all IMSA races*, pits 4 different groups, classes,  against each other. And while everyone is racing at the same time, each race is really four different races, as the winner of each class is considered a victor.

Today, the race ends...at 2:40pm, exactly 24 hours after it began, yesterday...at 2:40pm. I have watched A LOT of it. I slept. So that is minus 7hrs. A couple of other trips out of the house, I missed another couple or few hours. So in all, I probably have watched 13hrs of this race with about an hour and a half to go. And still simply the coolest thing is...in each class, the race is still undecided. These guys drive over 2500miles in 24 hours and still close enough at the end to keep me glued.

My favorite two classes are the GTLM and GTD classes. They are cars that are recognizable. Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Corvette, Aston Martin and Dodge Viper.

Anyway, go watch the end at IMSA.com.

* The IMSA GTD and GTLM classes race a few races the P and PC classes don't race. One is the Virginia International Raceway Oak Tree Grand Prix on August 27th.


No comments:

Post a Comment