17 February 2016

Perspectives: Martin Brodeur

One of the most consistent and successful goalies ever, Martin Brodeur.

His story, his words.

I have nothing but respect for Brodeur. I remember well the first time I really watched him play. It was 1994. The Stanley Cup Playoffs were amped up for me, Mark Messier was leading my Rangers on a great run for the Cup. My hopes were high. So I watched it all.

And I watched Martin Brodeur. He was tight in net. The Rangers had a pretty good goalie in Mike Richter but Martin Brodeur seemed a bit more sure. Richter always had a way to give up that goal to keep an opponent in a game. And he did that on a few different occasions against the Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. Lose this series and watch the Devils win their first Stanley Cup.

Fortunately the Rangers were relentless. Messier made sure of that. After his legendary guarantee after a game 5 loss, the Rangers dismissed the Devils in game seven.

That series was the beginning of a very dominant run for the New Jersey Devils and Martin Brodeur was certainly a capable and solid goalie for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment