13 October 2015

Of note: Best 10 Rookie Classes - Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir

SI article

I love articles like this - always nice to look back and re-learn history. In this case, drafts. An especially good topic for me because my brain doesn't store players via the WHEN they were drafted detail. The drafts that are fun for me are the late 80s and early 90s. This is when I was kind of still new to the sport. So many of those players just have a special place for me. But it is cool to see some of the others - to have that "i had no idea those two came in together". Anyway, enjoy the read. I think the guy Allan does a good job.

92-93 is special. Love Niedermayer (not when he was winning with the Devils, of course) Love Lindros - poor guy, wrong era. Now-a-days his pumpkin would not be smashed...cept maybe by Raffi Torres. And my favorite under-achieving Ranger Alexei Kovalev! Joe "Glass Jaw" Juneau, Ray Whitney, and Teamu Selanne. What a great class!

Guys like Primeau, Amonte, John Ogrodnick making the list...well, I mean, they were drafted those years. Maybe put them in an even lower category like "Also drafteds"

Number 1 is hard to beat - Gretzky alone might make any class fit the list, but Gretzky, Messier and Bourque. That is pretty much the winningest players in my era. Bourque to me is under-rated (if he can be, anyway). He had some really good pieces in Boston. But I think his other-worldly abilities kept that team winning so much and so consistently they never were able to get that next piece that would have propelled them to dynasty-like cup wins. The "East" of that era needed a dominant team.


No comments:

Post a Comment